Current River Trip, March 1998
A few shots from a canoeing and camping trip on the Current River in
southern Missouri, 13-15 March 1998. I also have some
last year's trip.
Getting ready to float
- Stan, Phil, Jeff, and John prepare to hit the water, while in the
distance Tom and Dean commit unspeakable acts with Tom's new kayak.
- The aforementioned unspeakable act. Ok, so Dean was just watching.
- Tess the Rottweiler, back for another trip. (She was along
- Gus, making his first appearance.
- Sheba the dogsicle, also making her first appearance. She stood
there motionless (the ripples are due to current) except for her
shivering for the longest time, oblivious to our suggestions that
she'd be a little warmer if she'd just come ashore.
- Tom, Chris, Jeff, Phil, and Stan.
- Chris, Jeff, Tom, and Von.
- Stan, Jeff, and Chris.
- Stan, Jeff, John, and Tom.
- John demonstrates that there's more to lunch than hot dogs, bratwurst
and potato chips.
- John, Tom and Jeff in various boats.
- A little feeder stream that struck my fancy.
- Ice along the riverbank.
- Closeup of some more ice.
- The peaceful gravel bar where we had lunch. Note Sheba the
dogsicle, still shivering.
Under pressure, as the Illinois contingent, to show up with a
spiffy new toy, Von and I brought an RC boat, christened the Minnow.
True to its name, it suffered a mishap or two. First I dropped the
controller in the water. It floated, but the circuitry got a little
wet, and from then on the boat wouldn't idle in the water. Its modes
were either "GO!!!" or switched off completely. (Missing was the
"switched on, but not going anywhere" mode, which made for interesting
launches and retrievals.) Later it suffered again, when we dumped our
canoe, and picked up the Minnow a little while later, floating upside
down, a few hundred yards downstream.