Canoeing the Upper Iowa
These are photos from a canoe trip I took with several co-workers
and friends. We camped and floated on the Upper Iowa River near
Decorah, Iowa for a weekend in early June 1995. We camped and rented
The campground was
beautiful, the weather was perfect, and the river was high enough to
make for a very enjoyable (if too quick) ride.
Note: These pictures won't look so good at resolutions higher
than about 75dpi. Sorry about that.
- Camp alongside the river, across from the bluff.
- Looking out the other way from camp.
- The river from camp.
- Sylvia gets friendly with some carrots.
- Tom preaches to Bernhard and Igor.
- Camp dinner.
- Camp breakfast.
- All ready to hit the water.
- 16 people in the back of a pickup.
- Rule 2 was our personal favorite.
- Those specks up there are my co-campers.
- A lovely bridge we passed on the river.
- River pirates who stole our lunches and drinking water.
- Chimney rocks.
- Chimney rocks again.
- We did not moolest these animals.
- A little inlet I lured Tom and Bernhard into.
- Tom and Bernhard wring themselves out after dump #1.
- Tom and Bernhard, caught in the act of dump #2.
- Ramming speed...
- Cleaning up and licking wounds.
- Tom and Bernhard review the day's successes.
- Husbands and wives.
- Hanging out at camp.
- More hanging out at camp.
- Fire kid practices his trade.
- Two and a half Kuceras.
- Fire kid again.
- Moms and their kids.
- Matt and Barbara do something distinctly non-camplike.
- Bernhard fails to find a set.
- Long shadows.
- The end of the day.